- RSS Channel Showcase 2145720
- RSS Channel Showcase 4618697
- RSS Channel Showcase 9797876
- RSS Channel Showcase 9341107
Articles on this Page
- 03/08/12--08:59: _Spanking: Can It Ma...
- 04/18/12--12:17: _Are You a Shopaholi...
- 05/07/12--14:59: _Schoolyard Bullying...
- 05/10/12--14:44: _Polaris Counseling ...
- 05/17/12--10:47: _Our President And H...
- 08/30/12--09:04: _Our President Is On...
- 10/10/12--08:01: _Polaris Welcomes Tw...
- 12/05/12--09:13: _Spending Time With ...
- 12/19/12--11:05: _What To Tell Our Ki...
- 03/20/13--07:19: _Polaris Welcomes Tw...
- 06/27/13--14:19: _ADHD – An Epidemic?
- 07/18/13--10:02: _Daily Herald Interv...
- 10/24/13--07:33: _Polaris Counseling ...
- 02/21/14--08:20: _Naperville Sun Time...
- 06/05/14--15:19: _Truly Amazing At Wh...
- 02/23/15--10:39: _Free Media Manageme...
- 08/26/15--11:45: _Now Accepting Appli...
- 01/10/17--09:20: _Polaris Welcomes a ...
- 03/08/12--08:59: Spanking: Can It Make Our Kids More Aggressive?
- 04/18/12--12:17: Are You a Shopaholic? When Spending Becomes an Addiction
- 05/07/12--14:59: Schoolyard Bullying: No Longer the Stereotype
- 05/10/12--14:44: Polaris Counseling Has A New Counselor!
- 05/17/12--10:47: Our President And His Son Are Climbing Kilimanjaro!
- 08/30/12--09:04: Our President Is On TV!
- 10/10/12--08:01: Polaris Welcomes Two New Counselors!
- 12/05/12--09:13: Spending Time With Dad Improves Self-Esteem In Teens
- 12/19/12--11:05: What To Tell Our Kids About The Sandy Hook Shootings
- 03/20/13--07:19: Polaris Welcomes Two New Counselors!
- 06/27/13--14:19: ADHD – An Epidemic?
- 07/18/13--10:02: Daily Herald Interviews Our President On Temper Tantrums!
- 10/24/13--07:33: Polaris Counseling is Now Offering Teen and Parenting Groups!
- 06/05/14--15:19: Truly Amazing At What She Does
- 02/23/15--10:39: Free Media Management Workshop for Parents!
- 08/26/15--11:45: Now Accepting Applications For a Child Psychologist, LCPC and LCSW!
- 01/10/17--09:20: Polaris Welcomes a New Counselor!
A recent study published in the journal, Aggressive Behavior found a link between spanking and aggressive behavior in children. The study, that analyzed data from children between the ages of 9 months and 5 years of age, showed a significant increase in aggressive behavior in boys if they had both a genetic predisposition for aggression [...]
A recent study conducted by Stanford University in the American Journal of Psychiatry found an alarming amount of people are shopaholics across the United States! The study interviewed 2,513 adults, analyzing their buying attitudes and behaviors, their consequences, and the respondent’s financial and demographic data to determine the approximate percentage of Americans dealing with compulsive [...]
A recent study commissioned by CNN and conducted at The Wheatley School in Long Island, New York, set out to understand more about the bullying epidemic that is consuming our schools nationwide. The study included more than 700 students who were given a survey with 28 questions on aggressive behavior four separate times throughout the [...]
Polaris Counseling is pleased to announce that Mandy Semenik has joined our team! Mandy is a Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor, Divorce Mediator and Divorce Coach. She has extensive experience in providing individual, couples, group and family counseling to children, adolescents and adults, and has provided consultation and professional trainings for parents, teachers and child care [...]
To celebrate his son’s golden birthday (he is turning 12 on the 12th July, 2012!) our president, James Smithers, and his son are climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro to raise money for the Amani Children’s Home in Tanzania, Africa. They have climbed in New Zealand and South America and are avid backcountry campers. Kilmanjaro stands at 19, [...]
Our president, James Smithers, was interviewed on the “Business Connections” talk show hosted by Liz Spencer at the Naperville Channel TV – 17 studios last week! James shared his thoughts on the practice, his counselors, the devoted and inspiring work they do, his trip to Kilimanjaro and more! The interview will be airing on Channel [...]
Polaris Counseling is pleased to announce that Marilyn Andrew and Lisa Banner have joined our team! Marilyn Andrew is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker who has extensive experience working with children, families, adolescents, and adults with diagnosis of Depression, Anxiety, Attention Deficit, Oppositional Defiant, trauma histories, and Adjustment Disorders. She uses a relaxed, relational, client centered [...]
A recent study from Pennsylvania State University found that teens who spent more time alone with their fathers had higher self-esteem and the more time they spent with their dads in a group setting, the better their social skills. The study, published in the Journal of Child Development, found that kids spend less and less [...]
In the aftermath of the horrific events that took place at Sandy Hook Elementary School last week I felt it important to address how we as parents can help our kids process what happened to the 20 beautiful children and 6 teachers that lost their lives in this unimaginable tragedy. Our first instinct, as parents, [...]
Polaris Counseling is pleased to announce that Julie Barbosa and Jennifer Loughran have joined our team! Julie Barbosa is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 20 years of experience working with individuals, couples, and families. Although Julie tailors her approach to the needs of each client, she finds Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Solution-Focused Therapy, and Family [...]
Recent studies show that an alarming 11% of children in the United States have been diagnosed with ADHD. These statistics raise legitimate concerns regarding the over-diagnosis of this mental health disorder and, in turn, the over-prescribing of psychotropic stimulant medications for children. Positively speaking, these numbers represent an increase in awareness among parents and professionals [...]
Our founder and president, James Smithers, was interviewed by the Daily Herald last week on the topic of temper tantrums . As an experienced child and adolescent counselor and expert in his community, James shared his thoughts on when temper tantrums are more than just a normal part of child development, how to be proactive [...]
Do you have a 6-12th grader that is struggling with low self-esteem, poor academic performance, acting-out behaviors, depression or anxiety? Are you at a loss about what to do, and how to help? If so, you are not alone! At Polaris Counseling, we understand the value of combining professional guidance with the support of your […]
Our founder and president, James Smithers, was interviewed by the Naperville Sun Times and Aurora Beacon on the secrets to making marriages work. As an experienced couples counselor and expert in his community, James shared his thoughts on the fundamental necessities in making a marriage work and the toxic pitfalls that couples have to avoid […]
“Dr. Deb’s approach to counseling has changed my life. I was referred to Dr. Deb for help with depression, anxiety and traumatic events in my childhood. Her approach as a new client was very gentle, and she was very easy to talk to. She was very natural and non-judgemental. Through our counseling together, I can […]
Technology: It’s become the fabric of American culture, yet it’s availability and influence on youth is more widespread than ever before. Children and youth spend an average of 40 hours per week in front of a screen, and more than 50% of surveyed parents report being concerned about the amount of time their child uses […]
We are looking for a PsyD, LCPC, LCSW or LMFT to work either part-time or part-time with a focus on building a full-time caseload. Unlicensed or LPC’s and LSW’s will NOT be considered for this position. Starting hours would be 2-3 evenings a week from around 4:30 to 9:00 and some hours over the weekend […]
Polaris Counseling is pleased to announce that Elizabeth Dubiel has joined our team! Elizabeth Dubiel is a Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor and a licensed educator/counselor with professional experience working with individuals, groups, couples, and families. Elizabeth specializes in working with clients struggling with anxiety, grief, social phobia, school phobia, bullying, stress management, adjustment issues, self-esteem […]